Denise's Reviews > Fall of Giants

Fall of Giants by Ken Follett

Aug 05, 10

Read from July 23 to August 05, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating epic tale!, August 5, 2010

This review is from: Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy) (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine™ Program (What's this?)
This is a fantastic epic, the first in a planned trilogy by the author of The Pillars of the Earth (now a miniseries) and World Without End. I simply raced through the pages, unable to put this book down even though it was a hefty nearly 1000 pages.

The story moves seamlessly and logically, starting in 1911 and ending in 1925, and has a large cast of characters -- all so beautifully developed that the reader comes to care about each one -- the good and the bad. A helpful CAST OF CHARACTERS is provided at the beginning of the book that may be copied and used as reference, but it is really not needed as the reader is introduced to each and they are so memorable that it's easy to keep them straight. The families are American, English, Scottish, French, German and Austrian, Russian, and Welsh. There are Lords and Ladies, Dukes and Duchesses, Kings, Queens, Earls, Dukes -- even the servants, miners, and other assorted people populate this work of fiction. The author has also inserted real historical figures into the story, and their interaction with Follett's characters is very well done.

Book one of the CENTURY TRILOGY is set in Europe before, during and after World War I. From a mining town in Aberowen, South Wales, to the drawing rooms of the privileged aristocracy in Russia, Britain, Germany, and to the War Room in the White House of Woodrow Wilson -- the narrative captivates as it tells the tale of the people involved in the conflict and their lives during this period of change in the world.

The story is intriguing and complex, but eminently readable. The violence and gore that were present in Follett's previous works is absent here, and the action is fast and the storytelling fantastic. I have a fondness for historical fiction, and this work does not disappoint as the author has obviously thoroughly researched the era and has rendered it beautifully.

I won't and can't provide a synopsis of this book other than to say that it's a drama about life and love during these fateful years and I promise you that this will go down as being one of the best books you've ever read.

I cannot recommend it highly enough and can't wait for the sequel! Historical fiction at its best.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fall of Giants.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marc (new)

Marc Hamber Yes it is an excellent read however just as an F.Y.I. the map indicating the location of the fictitious village of Aberowen has been located in North Wales better known for slate quarries as opposed to South Wales known for its coal mines. In fact its positionong is on top of Snowdown Wales's highest peak. Ken and his proof readers should have done a better job.
I look forward to his second book in the series.

Agustin He does comment on this mistake on his webpage... And I think this is just for the American edition...

Thomas Campbell Follett's books are chock full of mistakes. I've begged him for years to let me proofread his books but... The shoddy writing does not help with his cardboard characters regurgitated from his previous books and the plot lines rarely vary. He does take you to historical eras from a realistic pov but his last two books were so bad I didn't finish them Easily the poorest writer ever on the bestseller lists and vastly overrated.

message 4: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Will this book give me nightmares? Some of Mr. Follett's books are out of the realm, my realm anyway. Is this such a book?

Denise No -- this was a lot less gory and descriptive of horrible tortures and such common in the middle ages!
I think you will like it.

message 6: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Denise wrote: "No -- this was a lot less gory and descriptive of horrible tortures and such common in the middle ages!
I think you will like it."

Thank you so much!

Denise Let me know if you like it as much as I did!!

message 8: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda If I can navigate back to you I will certainly let you know
If I liked the book. Do you have other children? Your baby is cute.

Denise I have two beautiful daughters -- that is my grandson! The new love of my life :) How about you?

message 10: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Denise wrote: "I have two beautiful daughters -- that is my grandson! The new love of my life :) How about you?"

Oh my, I have a friend! Ihave four grandchildren. A teenage boy, twin boys and a girl. When I held my first baby I realized truly what love is. Then with the twins (premature--they weighed a little over 2 pounds) I knew ehat "grand love" was. I know your feeling. There is nothing like a grandchild. You enjoy that little boy and love him fiercely! You look too young to be a grandmother.

Denise Thank you for your comments and I agree 100% about the love -- who knew??? I can't wait for more, I only wish I could see him and the girls more often.
Keep in touch!

message 12: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah Larson Denise, I have amnesia....honestly can't remember if I read Fall of Giants.....did it involve a plane? Please help me refresh my memory. I have #2, but don't want to read out of order...thanks

Denise No plane -- it was about the events leading up to World War I in Europe, Russia, and the USA. All different characters with multiple points of view based on their respective homes/countries. I really enjoyed it but I didn't know much about that period of history before.