Crystal's Reviews > The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World

The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner

Aug 04, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in August, 2010

I enjoyed this book, despite not caring much about the central premise. I was interested more in learning about the countries he visited, including about their happiness or not as a nation, but the overall quest for happiness seemed a little silly. Seems to me that being happy is one of those things, like typing, that if you think about it while doing/ being it, you stop doing it. Am I typing accurately? oh, well, not anymore...so anyway, the central premise was a little bit of a strech for me, but I learned a lot about some more obscure countries through reading this book, and that I thoroughly enjoyed. I have more desire than ever to visit Switzerland now, and none whatsoever to visit Moldova and Qatar. Thailand maybe. India probably. Bhutan probably not. but it was so interesting! I also enjoyed Eric Weiner's voice as an author. Yes, a bit overly introspective, but with a dry touch of humor along the vein of Tony Horwitz, although not as funny. I'd definitely recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Geography of Bliss.