Kate's Reviews > Olympos

Olympos by Dan Simmons

Jul 23, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, sci-fi
Recommended for: sci-fi fans, people who like twists on greek mythology, horror fans
Read in June, 2010 , read count: 2

The Ilium/Olympos duology is some of the most fantastic sci-fi that I have read for ages. The depth and breadth of the story is so utterly satisfying that it puts other books to shame.

Ilium is difficult to get into to start with as the three different main story strands don't really start to relate to each other until 3/4 of the way into the book which makes things a bit confusing and difficult to keep up with. The story comes into its own in Olympos, and unlike a lot of Simmons characters, you really start to feel empathy with a number of the characters in the novel.

What is most interesting is that the least human characters, the Moravecs, are definitely the most human in personality, which is probably a deliberate turn on Simmons part to emphasize how far human life on earth has changed.

The old-style eloi humans really are incredibly childlike and to see them take on evil in their paradise when things come crashing down is fascinating although I was never quite clear whether it was the Moravecs or the calibani that were the Morlocks to their Eloi.

The creeping horror of the Setebos gave me nightmares, Simmons is a master of horror within sci-fi, and the mixture of greek mythology and Shakespearean characters was fascinating. It should have been an ugly mess, but it wasn't at all.

I love these books and I would highly recommend them to anyone into sci fi with a grounding in Greek mythology, Shakespearean plays (particularly The Tempest). Wonderful mind expanding, gripping fiction!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Olympos.

Claire I've just re read these, skipping a lot of the Troy stuff this time. Still fascinating and a bit bonkers. The idea of the eifelbahn and the taj moira are just staggering.