Chris's Reviews > Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour

Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour by Bryan Lee O'Malley

Jul 22, 2010

bookshelves: comics, sff
Read in July, 2010

** spoiler alert ** This review doesn't so much contain spoilers as consist of them.

So. Anyway.

I hadn't reviewed any of the previous volumes because I like watching narrative skeins play out. From the end, O'Malley doesn't disappoint me at all. At a certain kind of entertaining, geeky writing about relationships, he's a master, the equal of Moore & Eick or DiMartino and Konietzko. Call it the Higher Fanservice.

There is, probably, something to these books other than the sheer pleasure they create in watching relationships play out, but I almost don't care. Geeks need soap operas too. I'm just so happy that Jonathan and Stephen Stills ended up together! That Knives turned out okay! I sort of shipped Kim and Scott, but a case is made, and noted by the characters, that maybe Scott and Ramona actually are perfect for each other. It's not that either is the shining human being Scott has imagined, but that they're both sort of lame, and trying to get better together. Scott's attempts to get his ex-girlfriends back (even Envy!) are pathetic, and realistically cartoonish, and funny and true.

Gideon is my favorite Big Bad since volume 3: creepy, gross, and generally awful (cryogenically frozen ex-girlfriends FTL), but still oddly human, except in his own and other people's minds. Scott's Level of Understanding makes so much mid-twenties sense. I sort of love that the League of Evil Exes began as a drunken Craigslist post.

My life hasn't been much like Scott Pilgrim's. (Less little? Less precious? And yes, if his life had a face, I'd punch it in the balls.) Yet I knew him and all of his friends on sight. I won't attempt to defend these books as great comic art-- I lack the vocabulary or, really, the taste-- but as a generational touchstone and a pure entertainment, I can ask no more. I can read one of these volumes in half an hour, and do it over and over.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour.

message 1: by M (new)

M Dude, I think you have finally convinced me to get around to these soon.