Tenille Shade's Reviews > Saving the Baghdad Zoo: A True Story of Hope and Heroes

Saving the Baghdad Zoo by Kelly Milner Halls

Jul 22, 10

bookshelves: children-s-literature
Read in July, 2010

I am not usually a lover of non-fiction, especially when it comes to animals, but this book piqued my interest. I think it was the historical perspective that drew me into Major Sumner's story about rescuing zoo animals and saving a nation. My husband and I recently watched the movie The Green Zone, so images of a war-torn Iraq were fresh on my mind. I found the heroic efforts of the volunteers inspirational, and it was evident that saving these exotic creatures held deep symbolic meaning and significance.

Once again, reading outside my "comfortable" genres has proven to be an enjoyable experience. I am particularly interested in the genre of narrative non-fiction, because the authors masterfully weave factual information into a story. For instance, the daring rescue of the Arabian horses made we want to read the facts facts located on the side of of the page. I learned that these amazing creatures are said to have been created by Allah when he combined the four winds.

I will definitely share this book with my students this fall. I would highly recommend this title if you are planning on teaching about conflict in the Middle East.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving the Baghdad Zoo.