Joy's Reviews > Scarlett

Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley

Dec 30, 2007

Read in December, 1991

I got this book in hardback for Christmas in 1991, shortly after it was first published. It was highly anticipated and, of course, there were folks lining up on both sides of the issue as to whether it could even hope to be a worthy follow-up to Margaret Mitchell's epic novel or whether it should be judged on its own merits as the continuation of Scarlett's and Rhett's story.

No one who loved GWTW can deny that he/she WANTED to know how the story of Scarlett and Rhett turned out. Margaret Mitchell left us hanging and more than 50 years later, the interest in this sequel was fever pitch. I started reading the book very early in the morning December 26, 1991, in the waiting room of Texas Children's Hospital where my oldest grandchild was undergoing hernia repair surgery. I was more than stressed and the book was the perfect distraction from the agony of waiting.

I enjoyed the continuation of the saga as written by Alexandra Ripley. I think she tuned into Scarlett's more mature self and spun a yarn worthy of her personality. I was happy that Scarlett finally realized how much she loved and needed Rhett. I believe Ms. Ripley took Scarlett along a path of growth we all wanted for her. And, finally... FINALLY... we get closure. Lord! It was 'way too long in coming!
48 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlett.

02/27 marked as: read

Harmony Joy, I love your comments because it was around the time I read this book too. It's not like we can get Mitchell to write a sequel.

Mary I received this book as a Christmas gift years ago. Now I am reading and enjoying
it very much. Joy, I like your review. What I want to know from other reviewers is why this book is considered "trash"?
Explain it to me please.

message 3: by Brenda (new)

Brenda ewwwwwww

Yunita Taman I love your review since i read this book recently. I found this novel interesting on how the character grow wiser each chapter, how Scarlett fight for her love, Rhett. I just get addicted by every line of the story. I think this is a good sequel.

Swathy Ajith Joy, I perfectly agree with your comment. it's a excellent follow up to gwtw. Margaret has done perfect justice to Scarlett's character by giving her the tinge of maturity in her later years.