Marisa's Reviews > Nightshade

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Jul 22, 10

bookshelves: ya
Read in July, 2010

Ugh, every teen girl is gonna love this. Got a Twilight fan who doesn't want to read anything you're trying to give them? Well as of October 2010, this should be the next thing on their list.

Calla is a Guardian -- she exists as both wolf and human (DON'T call her a werewolf), and her sole purpose in life is to protect the sacred places of the Keepers. The fate of all humanity depends upon it. Calla also happens to be the female alpha of her pack, and in just a few short weeks will have her union ceremony with the male alpha of the neighboring pack, Ren.

Calla has never questioned her lot in life, until she stumbles upon a human boy who's being attacked by a bear, and feels inexplicably compelled to protect him. She saves him, breaking several of the Keepers laws in the process. She is shaken by her disobedience, but vows to move on. But when the boy shows up at her school on Monday as a transfer student, she has a feeling her life is about to get very complicated.

The first couple of chapters are a bit rocky, I actually laughed out loud a couple of times, and not in a good way. But then the story picks and it's like watching TV -- it's like you're not even reading, it's just flowing through you. Then it goes on. And on. And on. It could be about 100-150 pages shorter, and probably would be if the author wasn't trying to set up a series.

That said, this book is probably perfect for its intended audience. This is my take on it as a 30-something, stick in the mud librarian. A teen girl who devoured every twilight book like it was the next Nobel prize winner, well...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightshade.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Angela I finished reading this last night and felt the same way about the length and about the rocky beginning. Guess that's just because I'm a stick-in-the-mud, 30-something too. :)

mlady_rebecca This is my take on it as a 30-something, stick in the mud librarian.

Thanks for that caveat. As an adult considering the book, your opinion carries more weight than a teenager's.

Paige I have to disagree on one thing: it's not really a twilight book, mainly because of the main character, Calla, is hardly like Bella.