Christina's Reviews > Legacy of Luna: The Story of a Tree, a Woman and the Struggle to Save the Redwoods

Legacy of Luna by Julia Butterfly Hill

Dec 31, 07

bookshelves: 2007, biography, library
Read in December, 2007

I would never spend two years in a tree. I knew that before reading this book and I'm even more convinced now. However, I have the deepest respect for people who put their heart, soul and life into what they believe - at the same time, I'm well aware of the thin line between standing up for what you believe in and becoming a fanatic. On the most part, Julie Butterfly Hill stays on the right side of this line and I'm amazed at how she survived 738 days in an ancient redwood in California to try and save the tree from being cut down and used for lumber.
I enjoyed this trip into a mind in some ways very different from mine - and in other ways, so close. She did feel a bit to extremist at points - but mostly managed to wind it back in so she stayed able to give rational arguments for her cause. And she seems to have succeeded in her cause - in spite of an attack on Luna in 2001, Luna still stands here 6 years later.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legacy of Luna.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new) - added it

Jo I thank you for finding this. I read a review about it a while back, and then did not get it down.
I would not do it either, but I do respect her passion.
We have fields of stumps of old growth forest, now spindly desigues forest or bare land. Here in West Seattle we have some amazing STUMPS! We have a lot of young beautiful trees, but it is hard to find a large one.
I look forward to reading this! Jo