ReviewsByMolly's Reviews > The Seeker

Aug 02, 10

Recommended to ReviewsByMolly by: Revell
Recommended for: everyone
Read in July, 2010 — I own a copy

I've always heard good things about Ann H. Gabhart and her books. In fact, I have The Outsider here waiting to read. I read about The Seeker on the Revell website and it sounded extremely interesting and full of history, which I love. Not only that, it was about the Shakers, a group of people very, very different from the world, and ones I wanted to learn more about. So, when The Seeker became a blog tour, I jumped on it, but when I sat down to read it, I was slightly disappointed at how slow the start of the story was. It certainly took several chapters in to the story before I was completely captivated by this novel, one set at the start of the civil war and filled with talk of Union States and southern slavery.

In The Seeker, Charlotte is introduced to us, with a bit of chaos in her life,especially when her father comes home with a woman half his age as his wife. She's determined to marry Edwin,whom she has known since they were children, who is determined to live amongst the Shakers and have peace and harmony. These Shakers are a group of people who don't believe in matrimony and always in peace and harmony, love and freedom. Charlotte is a southern belle, whom Ann H. Gabhart gives beauty and realness to, who is determined to win back Edwin, so she leaves her home and joins the Shakers, convinced that she will end up with Edwin....but God has other plans, and quite possibly another handsome young man by the name of Adam Wade, for Charlotte. I stop here for fear of revealing too much more and giving away spoilers!

So, despite the slow start of the story, this book is one I would recommend you read. It has beautiful characters, emotional depth in plot, and amazing details to the Shakers and the history. It's 4 star praise worthy, and, once I was a few chapters in, was captivating and page turning. I will definitely be reading other books by Gabhart soon!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seeker.