Ross's Reviews > The Way We Live Now

The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope

2209582
Jul 22, 10

Read in July, 2010

This is a very very big book with a few very very little stories. The quality of the writing, however, is as good as exists in the English language. Therefore 5 stars for the writing and 1 star for the story gives you an average of 3 stars for the work as a whole.
The main characters of interest are two of the vilest scoundrels to be found in the fiction of any language that I know of. The interest of the story is to find out what happens to them.
The remainder of the characters are the usual that Trollope includes in his satires: the arrogant stupid peers, the simple country bumpkins, the good hearted, honest but simple young man pursuing the poor but worthy young woman for his bride. All well drawn and amusing.
This is about the 10th of Trollope's novels that I have read and not my favorite, though some sources say many critics feel this is his best work. I liked "Doctor Thorne" and "Framley Parsonage" better because those story lines appealed to me.
Of interest to Americans is Trollope's attitude regarding the comparison of English to American culture in the middle of the 19th century. An American woman in the story visiting England for the first time remarks that "the English are all either too humble or too arrogant," and it is quite clear Trollope is expressing his own thoughts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way We Live Now.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Hazel You make me nostalgic for this book, Ross. Have you seen the BBC adaptation? David Suchet, I think, over the top as Melmotte. Great fun!

Ross As it happens I am going to start watching it tonight as I have finally finished the 26 episodes of the Pallisers. The Pallisers series is so good I was sad to come to the end. I think David Suchet is wonderful as Poirot, so I am looking forward to his playing the villian.
Remind your husband to order The Pallisers.

Hazel He says he's got it! Wheeee!

Ross Well I hope you both enjoy it as much as I did. I really loved it. The characters are essentially those that Trollope created and although the story is altered somewhat, it is for the better.