Kathie H's Reviews > Death by Darjeeling

it was ok
Recommended to Kathie by: Cozy Mysteries goodreads group
Recommended for: No one
Read from July 22 to August 09, 2010 , read count: 1

Oh dear, where do I start? This was a selection for our Goodreads "cozy mysteries" book club (our July author was Laura Childs). I wanted to like it. I love tea & love the idea of the owner of a teashop as the protagonist for a mystery series.

Childs has an issue with writing in complete sentences. Also, she has an odd way of changing well-known phrases into you-almost-got-it-right word groups. For example, instead of saying "dribs & drabs," she uses "drips & drops." Instead of "slapdash" she says "slap-dab."

I got to the point where I was convinced she just needed a decent editor. She wrote, "Rounded cobblestones poked at the soft leather soles of her Todd loafers..." She meant Tod's loafers. http://tinyurl.com/27eh6yb She uses "noodled" instead of "doodled."

Referring to the classic Parker Brothers board game Clue, a character says, "Mr. Mustard in the library, so to speak." No, it's Colonel Mustard. Little things like this are so easy to research (for the author) & should be double-checked or corrected (by the editor).

One loose end that wasn't properly tied up was the character who had a romantic interest in Theodosia. He just rather faded away, instead of there being a substantive exchange between the characters to provide closure for the reader.

Some things I enjoyed were the descriptions of exotic kinds of tea, & the charming city of Charleston, South Carolina (where the story takes place). I like the idea of an ensemble of characters who work in the tea shop & share a sense of ownership & camaraderie.

This is the first book in the Theodosia Browning Tea Shop Mystery series. I also bought the first in the Scrapbooking Mystery series, Keepsake Crimes (which I haven't read). Both books are going to Goodwill.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death by Darjeeling.

07/28/2010 page 72