Renee Sweet's Reviews > On the Edge

On the Edge by Ilona Andrews

Jul 22, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010
Read in January, 2010

If you've read any of my previous Ilona Andrews book reviews (Magic Bites, Magic Burns, Magic Strikes), you'll know that I'm a huge fan. I love the Kate Daniels series. LOVE. I love it so much, in fact, that I was scared to read ON THE EDGE because it was something new and different, and I was afraid it wouldn't live up to my expectations. I know. I've got issues. In any case, I shouldn't have worried. It was FANTASTIC.

Rose's world is richly developed; we see enough of the magic of the Edge and the Weird to satisfy our curiosity and get a good, solid sense of how the world operates, but are left with the feeling that there is much more to discover. Rose, her mother, Declan, and especially the boys, Georgie and Jack, are the kind of characters we all pray for when opening a new book: three-dimensional, real--people you feel like you could really get to know, despite the million ways you're different. It doesn't take long before they've each wrapped themselves around your heart in their own way, which makes the rest of the story both better and more difficult. Rose and her family are in dire straits, struggling to make ends meet, raise two young boys who've been abandoned by their father, and now a host of even greater evils set on destroying them and everything around them.

I couldn't get enough of this book. It's a really great read. Highly recommended!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Edge.