Kristi (The Story Siren)'s Reviews > The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Nov 06, 11

bookshelves: own-arc, books-i-own
Read from May 18 to 22, 2011

I'm probably a little bit biased, but I absolutely adored this book.

I've been PSYCHED to read this book for over a year now.... one of the downsides of me seeking out books to die for.... er I mean pine for. The cover was what drew me in, I'm not going to lie. Look at that thing, it's freaggin gorgeous. Then I got an email from Michelle about possibly interviewing her on stage at BEA. Now... they don't usually ask us lowly ole bloggers to do that sort of thing, so I was extremely humbled to even be asked.... but I had to, you know.... actually read the book. So, there I was in the airplane on the way to NYC pumped to be going and then pumped to be interviewing Michelle, so I was just generally excited to read this book. That being said..... without that whole experience and meeting Michelle in person and sharing email correspondence with her and learning about what a very awesome person she was, I believe I would still have adored this book.

This book surprised me. It stunned me. I was expecting one flavor, and I got something totally different. I think if I had to describe this one it would be a contemporary novel - part psychological thriller, with a supernatural twist ... a BIG supernatural twist and one that you don't really see coming until it is IN YOUR FACE. And then you're all like.. "whoa did that really just happen!" and you go back and read that last paragraph... and you're like "yeah, that totally did just happen... holy $*#&$&!" I had a very similar reaction to the ending.

Mara Dyer is a book you are either going to LOVE.... or HATE. Very passionately.

Although the story is told through Mara's eyes, considering everything that she's been through, you don't always know if you can believe what she is "seeing." But you will love her as a character. She's not the type of character to settle back and let everyone else control her. She has a mouth and an opionon and she uses it. Love her. And I can't fail to mention the incredibly sexy Noah Shaw.... whew. Just wait until you read that locker scene.. don't worry you'll know what I'm talking about. Like me you'll probably be on the fence about Mr. Shaw.... but that locker scene will win you over, for sure. HOT!

And the writing and the story... it's just addicting. I never tried to guess what was going to happen next because it was just a wasted effort. Sit back and enjoy the ride people. You will not be sorry.

Not to mention there is a part in the story where Mara rescues a dog, and I think we all know how I feel about those four legged canines, so that also made the story full of win for me. Michelle ROCKS!

Dying for book two!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.

05/20/2011 page 242
52.0% 3 comments
05/22/2011 page 464
100.0% "wow. review to come. going to be thinking of this one for a while."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Chelsey Ooooo I can't wait for this one!!

message 2: by Alexia561 (new) - added it

Alexia561 Can't wait to read this one!

message 3: by mich (new) - added it

mich jea. lous.

message 4: by Alyssa (new) - added it

Alyssa I saw your interview with Michelle on TSS! I wish I was going to BEA!

message 5: by Roshini (new) - added it

Roshini Can't wait for this one.

Audrey Looking forward to seeing you guys discuss this at BEA!

message 7: by Sierra (new)

Sierra Super jealous that you get to read this!!! :] I hope you are liking it and I cannot wait for your review!

message 8: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra wow, i can't believe all the five star reviews this is getting. can't wait to check it out

message 9: by Nia (new) - added it

Nia ^^^^me too

message 10: by Marvin (new) - added it

Marvin I would like to read this one !

Jennifer Love very passionately! I wish this book would get more hype on line.

message 12: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars