Nick's Reviews > Tower of Treasure

M_50x66
Jul 22, 10

bookshelves: graphic-novel-fantasy-sf, graphic-novel-juvenile
Read on July 21, 2010

Good, but a little confusing, as this graphic novel introduces a vast array of subplots without actually resolving any of them. I sincerely hope these subplots are all an ongoing part of what will be a series. Also, I found the queen to be a little too grotesquely cartoonish compared to the rest of the story.
One touch that I loved was that one of the characters in the carnival freak show was a "one-headed Ettin". Ettins are giants who normally have more than one head, so a one-headed one was unusual... While kids who are not big on either folklore or Dungeons & Dragons won't get the joke, it was still clever and amusing.
Dessa was a good central character, although her acrobatics frequently violate the laws of physics. Topper, the would-be greatest thief in North Huntington, provides both plot and comic relief. Fisk, the one-headed Ettin, provides down-to-earth reasoning as well as brute force.
While some of the other characters were stereotypical, the interaction was clever and the story overall worth recommending. It's so radically different from Chantler's previous work, Northwest Passage, that it may confuse people who assume it will be the same kind of story. I would say that this one would work for kids 10 and up, or for teens and adults who want a quick fantasy story to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tower of Treasure.