Erin (PT)'s Reviews > The Lightning Thief

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

Jul 23, 2010

bookshelves: alternate-universe, magic-users, mystery, series, urban-fantasy-horror, ya-teen
Read from July 22 to 23, 2010

My husband and I bought these books after seeing the movie. As might be expected, the books are quite a bit better than the movie, though I was surprised at how much darker the tone of the books were. There was a much more palpable sense of life-or-death stakes for the characters than I felt the movie portrayed. I liked that and I liked that I didn't feel the books 'talked down' to their prospective reader.

I'm still not crazy about the portrayal of Percy's mother; though she demonstrates a mother's love that goes above and beyond, her character and the way she shows that love is still very passive. As well, I was surprised at how much less a part of the action Annabeth, the main female character, was than in the movie. Though the book is engaging, fun, tightly plotted and a quick, easy read, I'm disappointed that there's not more for girls to latch onto.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lightning Thief.