Lee Anne's Reviews > Furious Love: Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, and the Marriage of the Century

Furious Love by Sam Kashner

Jul 22, 2010

bookshelves: borrowed-not-bought

Everyone and no one should have a love like this. Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton loved each other so much it ruined the both of them. Elizabeth, so used to being spoiled and petted, and so skilled at being famous, controlled their crazy, decadent life. They lived on a yacht (mainly to avoid taxes), sent their children to Swiss boarding schools, and spent money like water, on pets, furs, and gigantic pieces of jewelry. Richard, a poor Welshman who always found acting an unmanly and degrading profession, yet yearned to be a respected stage actor, found himself more famous yet trapped by that fame once he entered Elizabeth's orbit. A morose alcoholic, Richard was always less able to handle his drink than Elizabeth, who dried out in Betty Ford after they were split.

This book is filled with love letters from Richard, which are erotic and very touching. I also liked referring to my copy of Elizabeth Taylor's My Love Affair With Jewelry, a great coffee table book, to see for myself the beautiful jewels Richard bought for her. It could have used a sharper editing hand, though, as some passages are repetitive. I came away from this loving Elizabeth Taylor as I have for years, maybe even more, and having fallen in love with the manly, rakish, and totally besotted Richard Burton.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Furious Love.

08/16/2016 marked as: read