Sue's Reviews > The Surgeon

The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen

Jul 22, 10

bookshelves: mystery, suspense

After watching the new Rizzoli and Isles TV series, I decided to check out the books on which it is based. This book was gripping from the start; suspenseful, scary, creepy, graphic in its medical descriptions, I finished it quickly and immediately requested the next book in the series.

Dr. Catherine Cordell, the main character in this chilling tale, thought she had shot and killed her rapist and would-be murderer two years earlier in steamy Savannah, where he was a surgery intern at her hospital. Now, in Boston, as another hot summer begins, he appears to have miraculously returned and embarked once again on his grisly mission: he rapes women, then surgically removes their wombs. As two intrepid detectives Thomas Moore and Jane Rizzoli investigate, Cordell begins to doubt her own memories (or lack of) and discovers that not even her OR is safe.

Abrasive detective Jane Rizzoli is not a likeable character in this book, and I look forward to seeing her character evolve in future books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Surgeon.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Patti McDermott I'm puzzled. I too saw the tv series before finding the books. As a rule I always prefer the books, ie: True Grit, Johnny Tremaine, but I'm not sure in this case. I'm not done yet and it may turn me around.