Cwn_annwn_13's Reviews > The Devil's Notebook

The Devil's Notebook by Anton Szandor LaVey

Jul 26, 10

bookshelves: from-public-library

The Devils Notebook is a collection of short essays by Anton Lavey. I liked The Satanic Bible better than this but it was a decent read. Most of these are very short. Lavey often writes in a very misanthropic way. Because Lavey in spite of his "scary" image was more or less a oddball nerd type of guy I think a lot of what the root of what he was getting at was instead of having a sense of shame or inferiority about being a weirdo or having odd interests was to turn it around on the sheeple and have a elitist attitude and look at your quirks and oddities as a sign of your superiority and if other people don't get it then thats a sign of their inferiority.

Although it never would have happened in a million years for a myriad of reasons even though over all I'm luke warm to the guy I think Lavey would have been an interesting syndicated newspaper columnist. Laveys opinion pieces would certainly have been more entertaining than the phony system approved left, phony system approved right or the token affirmative action black columnist that every major newspaper has one of that only writes about being black. Lavey if he didn't sell out would have made peoples heads spin. He would have offended the uptight conservatives with his anti-Christianity and pro-sexual freedom stuff and he would have offended the feel good liberals with his misanthropic stance on the masses but I know people would have bought newspapers just to read his columns, even if they wouldn't admit it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Notebook.