Christina's Reviews > The Elements of Cooking: Translating the Chef's Craft for Every Kitchen

The Elements of Cooking by Michael Ruhlman

Jul 22, 10

bookshelves: read-books-2010

This cheerless book emulates The Elements of Style by offering definitions of some foundational techniques and ingredients that all cooks should know, according to the author. There's only one recipe, for veal stock: Ruhlman says much home cooking could be improved by the addition of veal stock. I'll take his word on that.

As for the techniques and definitions, I didn't find myself learning much that I didn't already know. For example, the "flavor" definition starts "arguably the most important element of a dish." I think it's really not an argument, first, and second, no duh. What I did learn seemed fairly trivial -- now I know what "hotel butter" is, but to what purpose?

Ruhlman's bibliography does make me want to check out some of his other sources, though, like "On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen," by Harold McGee.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Elements of Cooking.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Devilish (new)

Devilish On Food and Cooking is pretty amazing - big and lots of chemistry - but amazing.