harlequin {Stephanie}'s Reviews > Stray

Stray by Rachel Vincent

Mar 17, 2012

bookshelves: over-450-pages, gorgeous-covers, book-boyfriend, dangerous-hero
Read on March 16, 2012

Rachel Vincent is becoming a favorite author. The first part is slow to start and still seems to make the most mundane tasks interesting. I love the characters and hope jace gets some feminine attention in the next book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stray.

Quotes harlequin {Stephanie} Liked

Rachel Vincent
“Apparently the complete works of Shakespeare packed quite a wallop. To think, my mother said I'd never find use for an English degree. Ha! I'd like to see her knock someone silly with an apron and a cookie press.”

Rachel Vincent
“Wonderful, a death match on my first day behind bars. Some girls have all the luck”

Rachel Vincent
“Anyway, I was the one in real danger. I got cornered by a pack of wild sorority girls in the food court. Apparently it's mating season.”

Rachel Vincent
“You mostly.” Her hands went still again as her eyes stared off into the past with a look so wistful it made me ache for her. “The boys tended to take care of each other but you were too much for anyone else to handle.”
I poked at the ball of yarn avoiding her eyes. “I wasn’t that bad.”
She smiled. “You broke Ethan’s arm.”
“It was self-defense. He wouldn’t let go of my foot.”
“He was helping you tie your shoe.”

Rachel Vincent
“But I'd take a slashed throat over a broken neck any day. At least that way I'd get to bleed all over his shoes. One final fuck-you before I died.”

“Faythe, it's me!"
"I know who the hell you are. Why do you think I kicked you?”

Rachel Vincent
“Shoving aside fear and self-doubt, I met his eyes, aiming for absolute confidence in both my stance and my voice. “My father taught me to disarm my opponent at all costs—regardless of his choice of weapon,” I said, glancing pointedly at his groin.
“Are you threatening me?”
“Damn right. Lay one hand on me and you’ll never stand to pee again.”
His eyes darkened, and his laugh sounded forced. “You’re very funny, gatita.”
“I’m glad you think so. I’ve always considered my sense of humor to be largely under-appreciated, so it’s nice to finally meet a fan.”

Rachel Vincent
“Okay, time to get serious. I let my smile fade slowly and lowered my pitch, as no human woman could have. “I’m not joking this time. If I see it, it’s mine, and you won’t get it back at the end of the school year.” I growled, deep and long, savoring the feel of the vibrations in my throat, as if the sound alone could save me. It wasn’t quite a cat’s growl but it was damn close. And it was his last warning.

Miguel dismissed my threat with an easy smile, and my stomach clenched. Oh, yeah, Faythe. You have Puss shaking in his boots, all right.”

03/16/2012 page 80