Denae Christine's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling

Jul 21, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy-present-day, movie, listened-to, thrice-or-more
Read in January, 2014 — I own a copy , read count: 4

Reader thoughts: I want to give it a 4, because of the dementors (they make an interesting story, but they're creepy).

Then there's the way Harry keeps running off to do whatever he wants no matter what the adults and everybody tell him. So, I want to give it a 2. They think someone is trying to kill him! They want to keep him alive!

But then there's the excellent writing and plotting and foreshadowing, and I want to give it a 5.

I also love that this is the first (and only) chance Harry has to get a real education in Defense Against the Dark Arts. (Mad Eye / whatshisname isn't bad either, I suppose.) Lupus uses some great teaching strategies, and he clearly cares about his students.

Writer thoughts: Dementors are a powerful plot device, and JKR uses them effectively. How?

1, they affect Harry differently than everybody else. These books are always pointing out Harry's differences, that he's not like anyone else. This is just another way.

2, they make the Sirius Black threat actually serious (no pun intended). The readers (and students) wouldn't care much about some runaway prisoner if the dementors weren't on the train and at the quidditch grounds and at the school.

3, they give Harry a conflict. He has to learn more so that he can face the dementors. People laugh at him because of the dementors. The world is a scary place because of the dementors. It gives him a focus for the year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

09/10/2016 marked as: read