Diana Leigh's Reviews > Black Magic

Black Magic by Cherry Adair

Jul 30, 10

Read from July 21 to 30, 2010

In the world of Black Magic, there were once two races of wizards: the good Aequitas and the evil Omnivatics. The Omnivatics, who often lived in snake-form, are thought to be extinct, cursed long ago for their wicked ways. Jackson Slater, a geologist and Aequitas wizard, telepathically receives a cry for help from his ex-fiancee Sara Temple, also a wizard, who is half-way around the world in the jungles of Venezuela. There is a bad history between Jack and Sara, but he cannot ignore her call. Jack saves Sara from a deranged wizard, and they soon discover there is an evil force targeting their kind causing madness and death, and the evidence suggests that their ancient foe the Omnivatics is responsible. Despite their mistrust for each other, Jack and Sara are faced with the task of locating and destroying the sorce of evil before the snake-wizard can destroy the earth.

Though the chemistry between them is electric, it took me awhile to accept Jackson and Sara as a couple. Jackson was likable from the beginning. He's a down-to-earth, take charge, no nonsense geologist who lives his life "roughing it" out in the field. Sara likes the finer things in life, like wearing designer clothes, flying expensive helicopters and decorating luxury hotels as an interior designer. Even traipsing through the South American jungle, she's dressed to impress. But, opposites attract, and that certainly added to the sexual tension between them. Sara's character was a bit naive and stubborn at times refusing to see the obvious, but by the end of the story I really liked her. It was several chapters into the story before we're given the reason for the bad blood between Jack and Sara. After hearing their heart breaking story, I can see why Sara acted the way she did.

This story had me entertained from the first page. Wizards and ancient evil snakes are a nice change of pace in a paranormal romance. At times the plot seemed far-fetched, but overall it worked for me. This is the first book by Cherry Adair that I've read. I liked her writing style. The story flowed nicely. The author gives us the history of the Aequitas and the Omnivatics in the prologue, which I had to read twice to fully grasp. It certainly helped me understand future events in the book. There is a upcoming second book called Dangerous Magic, and I'm looking forward to seeing where the author takes this story.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Magic.