Crystal Starr Light's Reviews > Moon Called

Sep 08, 10

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, simply-the-best
Read from August 18 to September 08, 2010

Vampires, Werewolves, and Skinwalkers: All in a day's work
Mercedes “Mercy” Thompson runs a mechanic shop in the Tri-Cities area. Life is pretty ho-hum until Mac, a 16-year old werewolf, appears asking for a job. Mercy agree and slowly gets sucked into a plot that involves her sexy neighbor, Adam, Alpha Wolf, and her ex-boyfriend, Samuel.

I Liked:
Mercy Thompson is rad! I love how down-to-earth she is, how there really isn't a whole lot special about her, even when there is something special about her (her skinwalking ability). She was a fascinating character, funny, witty, sympathetic, and enjoyable.
I also found myself fond of other characters, something that can be a little more challenging in books written from the first person point of view. Jesse was really quirky and fun; I liked how Tony didn't end up being one of Mercy's harem (at first, I thought he would); Warren was a very cool addition to the urban fantasy realm (a gay werewolf? Might sound odd, but Briggs does a beautiful job); Adam was charming and arrogant (and even made me want to smack him some times!); Samuel is sweet and endearing.
The story is very interesting, starting with a trivial incident (Mac working for Mercy), and then continuously building as it progresses. Coupled with this, Briggs does a marvelous job introducing us to her new urban fantasy world. Besides the obvious vampires and werewolves, she also introduces witches and fae, such as Zee. I thought that was really cool, as was her description of their being discriminated against.

I Didn't Like:
There is a lot of setup, as is expected from a first novel. All the characters have to be introduced, which ends up being time-consuming and a little confusing.
The end battle and the “who-dunnit” were both a little weak. The end battle felt a little confusing, disjointed, while I still am grappling with understand why “X” did “Y”.

Dialogue/Sexual Situations/Violence:
Very tame. Da** and he**, but the worst words (f-bombs) are tastefully censored.
Jesse is held by abusive male captors (no explicit scenes, but there is a hint that something bad might have happened). Mercy meets up with her ex-boyfriend, whom she at one point was going to run away with. Again, this is VERY tame for this genre.
Mercy ends up attacking a werewolf who bleeds out. Adam is attacked and shot with tranquilizers. The final big battle ends up with some characters dead.

Overall:
My biggest forays into Urban Fantasy have been the Twilight novels. I've been interested in other vampire-ish novels, but I'd heard so much about this series, I had to check it out. And am I glad! Mercy Thompson is a delightful protagonist, independent, strong-willed, and yet not so abrasive that you don't root for her. This book has made me 100% more interested in werewolves, and I am most definitely buying the rest of this series.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moon Called.

Quotes Crystal Starr Light Liked

Patricia Briggs
“Love thy enemies, it says in the scriptures. My foster mother always added, "At the very least, you will be polite to them.”

Patricia Briggs
“Reluctantly, I pulled out my necklace and showed it to them.

Samuel frowned. The little figure was stylized; I suppose he couldn't tell what it was at first.

"A dog?" asked Zee, staring at my necklace.
"A lamb," I said defensively, tucking it safely back under my shirt. "Because one of Christ's names is "The Lamb of God.""

Samuel's shoulders shook slightly. "I can see it now, Mercy holding a roomful of vampire at bay with her glowing sheep."

I gave his shoulder a hard push, aware of the heat climbing to my cheeks, but it didn't help. He sang in a soft taunting voice, "Mercy had a little lamb...”

Patricia Briggs
“Dance when the moon sings, and don't cry about troubles that haven't yet come. (Moon Called)”

“Mine," he said.
Adam's eyes narrowed. "I don't think so. She is mine."

It would of been flattering, I thought, except that at least one of them was talking about dinner and I wasn't certain about the other.”

08/18/2010 page 27
9.0% "This is my treadmill book."
09/07/2010 page 254
84.0% "On the home stretch!"
show 15 hidden updates…