Valerie's Reviews > The Red Umbrella

Jul 21, 2010

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Recommended to Valerie by: Cara
Read from July 22 to 29, 2010

Good old historical fiction never fails. Lucia is our girl of interest. Time period is the 1960s however this isn't about the civil rights movement it's about Operation Pedro Pan because of the Communist Movement going on in Cuba.

Lucia seems to be average but spoiled in the beginning of the book. This annoyed me. I guess it's realistic since she is fourteen and basically has had (up until now) a fairly carefree life but it was still off putting. Once problems start arising and Lucia starts to realize the seriousness of the 'Revolution' Lucia takes things as best as can be handled. She matures exceedingly throughout the book.

I liked that the story was serious and gave a fairly good overview of what was happening without it being too dark for younger readers. Lucia's voice rang true the more I read. Almost half the book goes by before Lucia and her brother reach Nebraska so a good amount of the book is dedicated to Cuba. Once Lucia reaches Nebraska the culture shock kicks in. The different food, the different language, and the homesickness all seemed realistic.

The book is written in English of course but there were times that a Spanish word was said. Other books I've read do this but not as often. This was fine with me because I can understand Spanish fairly well, but I can't help but think that I would've been annoyed if I didn't. There is a glossary in the back but I didn't realize this until half-way through the book. Maybe it was to remind the reader that they were talking in Spanish but I can't be sure.

But anyways, it was a good story, good writing, and I gained some knowledge about something I only heard about in passing during history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Umbrella.

07/25/2010 page 25