Sheila's Reviews > Deception

Deception by Lee Nichols

2039269
As part of a June Blog Tour, I won a copy of the book, Deception, by Lee Nichols. It’s the first in a new paranormal adventure romance series, with a teen heroine trying to combine her “new-girl” struggle for acceptance in a New England prep school with the fact that she keeps seeing people who aren’t there. Emma has an unfortunate tendency to faint at inappropriate moments too. And her parents and brother have gone missing.

I should warn you, Deception is deceptively addictive, and definitely not a re-run of all the other paranormal teen romances out there. I was slightly disappointed by how the final chapter sets the reader up for a sequel, but the story itself is complete and enjoyable. The characters, living, dead and otherwise, are fascinating. The writing is smooth with an enjoyable first person narrative. The relationships play out well, even the slightly odd one between Emma and her new guardian. And the mythology of ghosts and ghostkeepers interacting with the every-day world of shopping and prep school is very nicely drawn. Revelations slip into the story with perfect timing, turning suspicion to delighted acceptance to guessing the future again.

Meanwhile there’s a murderer on the loose, and Emma just might be in his sights. It all combines to make an exciting adventure, grounded with pleasant characters and fun relationships, plausible lives and dialogs, and that longing to be accepted which isn’t only experienced by teens. I really enjoyed the read, a haunting story and a heroine worth watching.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deception.