The Book Maven's Reviews > Maid of Murder

Maid of Murder by Amanda Flower

Jul 21, 10

Recommended for: Librarians and Cozy Mystery lovers
Read from July 04 to 21, 2010, read count: 1

My instinct is to give this book three stars, but the librarian bias is coming out here. I'll give Maid of Murder four stars for the potential it almost achieves.

I'll start by saying cozy mysteries are not this librarian's thing. I'm more of the dark, violent, cussing-up-a-storm crime novel reading type. So at times the cozy aspect was annoyingly hokey. But not everyone has the sailor vocabulary that I do, and I'm all about diversity. Once I moved past the wee bit of hokeyness, I, well, moved on to the other issues. Here's what I have to say:

1. India needs to develop more of a spine.

2. India's parents--mother especially--need to stop being such total...um...may I use such words? We'll go with jerks. Seriously, India's mother said NOT ONE KIND THING to her in the entire book. I'm fairly certain that Mrs. Hayes' parishioners would be unimpressed if they realized how Mommy Dearest she was.

3. Ms. Flowers will benefit from a better editor. In fact, consider myself a volunteer. Did no one else encounter the many errors that I did? Not spelling and grammar so much as flow, narration, etc. This was at times disjointed reading (unintentionally so, I think) because of omissions.

4. This is going to be a really good series, once Ms. Flowers obtains a better editor.

5. It'd be nice if Ms. Flowers referenced the librarian stereotypes a little less. Doesn't matter if they're not correct, we're not going to live them down if we're still talking about them.

Finally, three cheers for Librarian novels! And three cheers for Midwestern novels! Those two elements alone are enough to bring me back to the second India Hayes mystery!

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maid of Murder.