Stacey (prettybooks)'s Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Sep 02, 10

bookshelves: read-after-university, read-in-my-twenties, young-adult-fiction
Read from August 25 to September 02, 2010, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** 3.5/5

At first, I didn't think much of Thirteen Reasons Why. I'd seen so much hype about it but I found it quite whiny. I didn't particularly sympathise with Hannah that much. So, someone gossiped about you? That's not a reason to kill yourself. It just sounded like the normal American high school experience to me and considering I'm nothing like the people on Skins either, I cannot relate.

However, the reasons behind Hannah's suicide started to become more complex half way through the book. It was easy to imagine her desperation and need for someone to talk to, for example, writing the anonymous note saying you wanted to commit suicide and have people be unsympathetic in class. I could imagine her sitting in her chair fuming, raging, wanting to run outside and cry because these people just weren't getting it. I think the whole "easier to imagine" thing contributed to my liking the book. At the beginning, I could not understand the reaction Clay was having. I personally thought he and Hannah were a bit odd. As the book goes on, as you find out what she meant to him, it becomes more clear. The author is male and I think this affected Hannah's characterisation. She didn't seem real enough to me whereas Clay did.

I think suicide is a topic that should be discussed more at school. Suicide, especially on the internet, is seen as a joke. Overall, the book is very blunt. It doesn't care about describing settings and uses simple language. I'm guessing this is because the whole book is told by two teenagers - it is going to be very self-centred.

I'm giving the book 3.5/5 because I liked it - I found myself rushing through to the end to find out what other events occurred. I agree with what someone else told me "you just want to shout "STOP HER!" even though you already know you can't". I liked it but I feel it did not live up to the hype.

"I hated poetry until someone showed me how to appreciate it. He told me to see poetry as a puzzle. It's up to the reader to decipher the code, or the words, based on everything they know about life and emotions."

08/25/2010 page 36
08/30/2010 page 90
31.0% "I'm not feeling much sympathy so far... but we'll see."
09/01/2010 page 220
76.0% "Enjoying it more now!"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tayler K If goodreads had a like button, I would press it. I loved this book and read it in less than a day.

Stacey (prettybooks) Yeah, I see a lot of you guys reading books I love and every time I wish that Goodreads had a like button!

Danielle This is a fantastic book. I read it pretty quickly as well. I hope you enjoy it!

Stacey (prettybooks) I hope so too :D The dialogue is...interesting. It's not how I thought it'd be. I'll get used to it though :)