Sterlingcindysu's Reviews > 40 over 40: 40 Things Every Woman over 40 Needs to Know About Getting Dressed

40 over 40 by Brenda Kinsel

Jul 21, 2010

it was ok
Read on July 21, 2010

Maybe because I'm a decade past being 40, most of what is written about here I've already incorporated--I agree with it, such as paying full price for items is worth it in the long run vs. a sale and buy what you love--but doesn't everyone know that already? She contradicts herself on the topic of being trendy, get out of ruts, try new things--and then on the next page says "just because it's in doesn't mean you should be in it." The book was a pleasure to read with pretty typefaces and whimsical doodles, but I wonder if that was to make it fluff up to 180 pages. The best features were when Kinsel was very specific, such as "what to wear to a reunion." (copied review) It's tough to be a woman over 40 in a world where fashion is dominated by youth and unnatural body images. But help is on the way! With generous doses of humor, 40 over 40 speaks to the 40-something woman, helping her develop style and expression through her clothes with 40 helpful hints and strategies. The book provides compassionate support for the busy woman who, already befuddled by fashion, may be really lost now that she imagines she's over the hill fashionwise. While acknowledging the changes time brings, 40 over 40 promises to help a woman create a closet of clothes that provides deep satisfaction and makes getting dressed an enjoyable experience. Tackling scenarios such as shopping for a bathing suit, dressing for a high school reunion, and exploring alternatives to plastic surgery, 40 over 40 dissects the fashion and beauty business, pulls out what works, and shows the reader how to toss away what doesn't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 40 over 40.