Josephine Myles's Reviews > Camp Hell

Camp Hell by Jordan Castillo Price

Aug 21, 13

bookshelves: m-m, paranormal, currently-reading, favourites-to-read-again, so-good-i-read-it-twice
Read from July 24 to 26, 2010

What a treat, to have a full length PsyCops novel after the novella length stories leading up to it. JCP deftly weaves a host of subplots together around the main story, concerning Vic's paranoia about being watched by a shadowy organisation, and the hypnotic regression he goes through in an attempt to find out vital clues from his time at Camp Hell. There is also a haunted hospital to clean up, relationship problems for Vic and Jacob, Vic's growing control over his psychic powers and an interesting development for Jacob (no spoilers!)

At one point, I was a little worried that the focus on the conspiracy was going to overwhelm what it was I most loved about the previous PsyCop books - I have often found that when TV series get too involved in overarching conspiracies they forget to produce interesting and fun episodes (I'm thinking of the X Files in particular!). However, despite the rocky patch in Vic and Jacob's private life, there is still plenty of what makes PsyCops great: sly humour, creepy hauntings, Vic's endearing messiness, scorching sex scenes and wonderful character interaction.

I would have liked to have seen a little more of Crash, but other than that, I can't fault this! I'm now off to read all the PsyCop shorts...
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Camp Hell.

08/21/2013 marked as: currently-reading

Josephine Myles Reading this one again, prior to Spook Squad coming out. Love this one so much! Very possibly my favourite in the series... although I seem to think that about all the books while I'm reading them :)

Susinok I need to re-read these, and then read the stories in their proper places. So excited!

Urbanista Me too. Totally irrational and obsessed about this series.

Josephine Myles Susinok wrote: "I need to re-read these, and then read the stories in their proper places. So excited!"

Definitely! I'm really enjoying getting back into Vic's mind :D

Josephine Myles Urbanista wrote: "Me too. Totally irrational and obsessed about this series."

It's a perfectly rational response to such fantastic writing ;)

message 6: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Wonderful series indeed, and can't wait for book 7.

Josephine Myles Sue wrote: "Wonderful series indeed, and can't wait for book 7."

Me either! I'm off to read more Camp Hell right now :D

Susan YAY! So glad you're loving these Jo!!!!! One of my favorite series! :)

Urbanista Swoon? And JCP does the covers. Awesomeness! I'm selling blood, food stamps, and dog fur to buy it.

Josephine Myles Susan wrote: "YAY! So glad you're loving these Jo!!!!! One of my favorite series! :)"

Oh, mine too! I've read the first four books several times now, and I think this is my third go on Camp Hell. Really looking forward to revisiting GhosTV next :D

Josephine Myles Urbanista wrote: "Swoon? And JCP does the covers. Awesomeness! I'm selling blood, food stamps, and dog fur to buy it."

It'll be worth it. I'd give a couple of pints of blood for the next one, even if it did leave me too woozy to read the book.