DubaiReader's Reviews > The Bed I Made

Jul 28, 10

bookshelves: library, 2010
Read in July, 2010 — I own a copy

Beautifully written.

I generally tend to avoid psychological thrillers but this fell into the mild category and wasn't scary enough to keep me up at night. Having been nominated as one of the TV Book Club Summer Reads for 2010, it was displayed prominantly in my local library so I thought I'd give it a go.
It was a good read, well written but only 4 1/2 stars due to the slightly rushed ending.

There were several threads to this story, firstly Kate's meeting and developing relationship with Richard who she meets at a Soho bar. The love scenes were beautifully done, Richard sounded absolutely adorable although we sense from the start that all is not as it appears.
Secondly there was Kate's life on the Isle of Wight - not the summery, tourist laden island but the wintry, atmospheric version that was so well described that it almost became an additional character in the book.
Finally there was the mystery of Alice Frewin's disappearance while out sailing that occurs at the beginning of the book.
These elements were expertly interwoven, with the additional looming threat of an unhinged Richard tracking Kate down to her bolt hole on IOW.

Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bed I Made.