DubaiReader's Reviews > I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced

I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali

Jul 29, 10

bookshelves: library, 2010, young-adult
Read in July, 2010

A true story of courage.

Nujood is a brave, determined little girl. Married off at 9 to a bully three times her age, it is beyond belief that any father would subject his daughter to such horror. Promises to allow her to reach puberty before he consumated the marriage were unfounded, the poor child lost her virginity on her wedding night. Not only was she now many days travel from her family, but she was not allowed to play, she was expected to work in the house doing all the menial tasks and, being a married woman, she had to cover her whole face leaving only her eyes.

Her determined bid for freedom at the local court house has opened a small door of hope for others in the same position and it is encouraging to see that the legal profession supported her rather than simply sending her back home.
I wish I wasn't having to review this book, I wish these things never happened - but maybe this little girl's story can help others in a similar plight.

This story alone would be enough to sell a book but this short tale also relates the experiences of Najood's 12 year old brother who left Yemen to try his luck in Saudi, her older sister who was also married off hurriedly, not much older than Nujood herself and her eldest sister who ended up in jail. Little wonder that Nujood is determined to become a lawyer when she is old enough and has no intenion of ever getting married again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced.