Iffath's Reviews > The Named

The Named by Marianne Curley

Jul 21, 10

Read in April, 2010 — I own a copy

The Named is the first book in The Guardians of Time trilogy. It was first published in February 2005, and there was probably a really small chance of me picking it up anywhere, so I'm very grateful to Bloombsury for rejacketing this fantastic fantasy book!

The book is the story of Ethan and Isabel who have been both 'Named' (the people who are part of a prophecy that was made years ago about a raging battle) and members of the Guardians of Time - are a group of people with extraordinary abilities, who are fighting against the Order of Chaos who have to alter the past to change the future. Ethan was all joined up when he was at a very young age - the result of witnessing a very confusing incident: the death of his older sister. Since then, he has been seeing the monster, that cruel murderer, in his dreams.

Ethan has been promoted to 'Trainer', which means he is supposed to help coach Isabel, who has begun to notice the strange things she can do, an obvious sign showing that Isabel is ready to join 'The Named' and help overcome the Goddess of Chaos. It's quite complicated for Ethan to help Isabel when her over-protective brother, who is also Ethan's ex-best friend, has taken on the role of the man of the house and is content with jumping to conclusions a lot of the time.

I liked the alternate chapters that were narrated from Ethan and Isabel's perspective. Although being Ethan's apprentice, I expected Isabel to be a bit more 'assertive' when being 'told what to do', although I don't really blame her because of how she felt about him when they were younger; also, it would've been nice to see a bigger reaction from her when she understood the fact that she had the most amazing powers, AND could travel through time.

The Named is a mysterious, exciting adventure, that takes you on a trip full of shadows, confusion, the place where worlds collide..
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Named.