Alexa's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Feb 28, 2011

bookshelves: arc, young-adult, 2011-reads, didnt-love-it-like-i-wanted, not-what-i-expected
Recommended for: Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
Read from February 25 to 27, 2011

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

Divergent was my most anticipated book for 2011. I had high expectations and thought it would be a definite favorite of mine, with me giving it 6 stars and forcing everyone to read it. Now that I've actually read it... Did I love it? I liked it. Did it live up to my expectations? No, not quite.

Divergent sounded like it had everything I wanted. Action, romance, and memorable characters. I really liked the romance; it was enough for me. It's great not having to worry about a love-triangle. Beatrice and Four were good characters. They stood out among the other characters in the book, and I loved that they could kick ass! The other characters, though, weren't as intriguing to me. I wanted to like them too, but by the end, I realized I didn't feel a connection with them. It's part of the reason why I don't believe the book lived up to my expectations.

As for the action, there was lots of it! I like action. With all that action and with Divergent being called a thriller, I was expecting heart-pounding, nail-biting moments that would leave me breathless and on the edge of my seat! I know some will disagree with me, but... I didn't find it to be that intense. Sure, I had no idea what would happen next, but any twist and turn that occurred didn't really shock or surprise me. If reading this book was a simulation (you'll read about simulations in the book), I would have owned! Because I felt pretty calm during most of the book. Even the death of certain characters didn't faze me. (Like I said, I didn't feel a connection with those characters, so that's probably the reason why I didn't have much of a reaction when they died.)

Maybe it's only me. Maybe I wasn't in the right state of mind when I read this book. Whatever it was, I just didn't get the intense, emotional feeling I wanted the most , out of everything else, from this book. It's the reason why I couldn't love it the way I wanted.

Overall, I enjoyed Divergent and would recommend it. This is a book I wouldn't mind reading again. It's really easy to get into. (I even want to reread it to see if I react differently.) Hopefully in the next book I find that feeling I missed because after what happened at the end of this book, I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the trilogy.
42 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

05/27 marked as: read

message 1: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Awesome review Alexa! I’m looking forward to this one!

~Tina~ Great honest review hun! I'm looking forward to reading this. Was Four all he was suppose to be?

message 3: by Lora (new) - added it

Lora Fab review, Alexa! Between your review and Flannery's I'm very eager to read this. :)

Arlene Awesome review Alexa! I can't wait to read this one too! :)

message 5: by Alexa (last edited Feb 28, 2011 01:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alexa Thanks! :) Hope you guys enjoy this one as much or more than me.

@Tina: hehe I liked him. Seemed like a good person and was protective of Beatrice. But if I were to compare him with the other male characters I love (Jonah Griggs, Peeta, Finnikin, Barrons, etc), he's...not there yet. You know what I mean? I'm not fangirling over him just yet. The same goes for Beatrice. They stand out in the book, but not at the moment with characters from other books.

~Tina~ Fair enough:) I'm glad that this is gonna be a trilogy, I think I prefer this kind of dystopian rather then the realistic kind that I've read lately (Matched, Wither).

XD

Alexa Haven't read those yet, but I think you're going to like this one. :3

message 8: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Wonderful review Alexa :D

message 9: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes love your review. it's given me a great feel of what to expect :)

Alexa Thanks, Nic & Nomes! :}

Rachel I read this book and I couldn't quite put a finger on why it wasn't at the top of my dystopia list, but you nailed my feelings perfectly. Such a great, honest review!

La Toya I completely agree with you. I almost feel odd not giving this a 5 star review like the mass majority of people. Nothing was shocking, most of the deaths were anti-climactic and I couldn't connect with the secondary characters. BUT I did enjoy Four and Tris (btw, I almost said Four and Katniss because that's what this book makes me think of...some part of the Hunger Games)

Sarah Marsh Alexa, I totally agree with your review. I really wanted to be more connected to the characters than I was. Felt like there was something small that was missing in them.

message 14: by Jennyz (new) - added it

Jennyz Horrible review , the book was amazing ...

Alexa lol Uh huh... And I guess 4 stars = 1 star to you.

Thanks Rachel, LazyGirl, and Sarah. ^^

Faith Great review!

I agree with you! I felt no real connection to the supporting characters and their deaths really didn't faze me. Also the scenes were just not that intense to me either. Just something off about the book but generally enjoyable!

message 17: by Haya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Haya MB Which faction would you choose?