Dan Schwent 's Reviews > Wizards & the Warriors

Wizards & the Warriors by Hugh Cook

Feb 23, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, chronicles-of-an-age-of-darkness, 2010
Read from July 27 to 31, 2010

Miphon, Garash, and Phyphor, members of the Confederation of Wizards, join forces with Elkor Alish and Morgan Hearst, Rovac warriors and sworn enemies of the Confederation, to slay the wizard Heenmor and retrieve the death-stone he stole from the Dry Pit. Only nothing is ever as simple as it seems. Feelings of greed and jealousy taint the party. If they retrieve the death-stone, can any of them resist the temptation to use it?

The Wizards & The Warriors is the first of The Chronicles of an Age of Darkness and sets the stage for the rest of the saga. All of the characters seem like fantasy stereotypes at first but quickly develop well-rounded personalities. The death-stone is suitably horrible and the hidden resentment for Hearst Alish feels, as well as Garash's power-lust, simmer until the perfectly horrible moment for them to arise. By the end of the book, not one of the main characters is the same as when he started.

The supporting cast is also well done. Blackwood and Prince Comedo in particular. Ohio, who also appears in The Walrus and the Warwolf, is introduced... and later killed. Scenes from The Walrus and the Warwolf, as well as The Wordsmiths and the Warguild, were told from different angles. The writing is superb, a combination of dry wit and artistry.

I recommend The Wizards and the Warriors to all fantasy fans, particularly the ones that prefer shades of gray to the usual black and white worlds of fantasy. Where else can you read the line "Well... a leech has crawled up the eye of my penis."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wizards & the Warriors.

07/27/2010 page 1
07/30/2010 page 116
33.0% ""Well... a leech has crawled up the eye of my penis.""
show 29 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (new)

Joe Well, the last sentence of your review sold it to me.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Joe wrote: "Well, the last sentence of your review sold it to me."

It's difficult to ignore, that's for sure.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Where else can you read the line "Well... a leech has crawled up the eye of my penis."

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Richard wrote: "Where else can you read the line "Well... a leech has crawled up the eye of my penis."

Holy christ on a crutch! I don't **WANT** to read a story in which that line can occur!!"

message 5: by Kemper (last edited Feb 23, 2012 08:48AM) (new)

Kemper Matterhorn also has a nasty leech vs. penis incident.

message 6: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Kemper wrote: "Matterhorn also has a nasty leech vs. penis incident."

I might have to make a leech vs. penis shelf if I run across more such incidents.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Dan wrote: "I think I would rather have been one of the guys hacked to bits by swords than the unfortunate soul with the leech."

Me too! Death before johnson-damage, like those horrible fish in the Amazon. Not going any further down that road.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Kemper wrote: "Matterhorn also has a nasty leech vs. penis incident."

And it gave me nightmares.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Why aren't these books incredibly popular?

message 10: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent D_Davis wrote: "Why aren't these books incredibly popular?"

message 11: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed Dan wrote: "D_Davis wrote: "Why aren't these books incredibly popular?"

No idea. I think Planet Stories helped them when they reprinted Walrus and the Warwolf a couple years ago."

I remember becoming interested when i saw that book listed in Planet Stories site.

message 12: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Mohammed wrote: "Dan wrote: "D_Davis wrote: "Why aren't these books incredibly popular?"

I remember bec..."

I've read the first 8 and Walrus and the Warwolf has been my favorite so far.

message 13: by Mohammed (last edited Feb 25, 2012 12:04AM) (new)

Mohammed Dan wrote: "Mohammed wrote: "Dan wrote: "D_Davis wrote: "Why aren't these books incredibly popular?"

No idea. I think Planet Stories helped them when they reprinted Walrus and the Warwolf a couple years ago...."

Thanks to your reminder, positive review i have looked for this book since in every library system, online second hand store in this country. Apparently Cook doesnt exist as author in this country.

Thankfully i found in Bookmooch someone who is willing to send me this book. I look forward to reading this. It sounds very good, any fantasy of this kind where the author is cult and the wit of the stories is mentioned in many reviews.

message 14: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Just bought this book after seeing your review. Plus, I see that the author is British- bonus, my favorite.

message 15: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Amanda wrote: "Just bought this book after seeing your review. Plus, I see that the author is British- bonus, my favorite."

Awesome. Hope you like it.