Sandra's Reviews > The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver

The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart

F 50x66
Jul 23, 2010

it was ok
Read in July, 2010

At the very beginning of this novel, I found it really hard to get into a reading flow. I am not a fan of the huge amounts of footnotes found at the bottom. I like footnotes in journals and other non-fictional readings, however, in this novel E. Lockhart overused footnotes. I felt like it disrupted my reading flow because the footnotes were important to the novel but I was too busy trying to figure out when I was suppose to read the footnotes. So I guess I am not a fan of footnotes for novels.

I though the actual story line is very realistic. I know plenty of teenage girls who have kept some sort of "boy" list, me included. I also know about panic attacks due to some sort of boy induced drama. I know about friends you can't trust. I know about flaky boys who can't make up their mind. So I think most of the elements and themes in this book are real. However, there was something about the novel that made it seem "fictional." I can't put my finger on why the "fictional" aspect is still there.

I think this book is a great book to dicuss the idea of needing a therapist to get through the "bad" days of high school. Panic attacks are not something to mess around with or to play down. Having had a panic attack in my own youth, I know that they can scary, upsetting expereinces. However, I also knew that I might need to talk to someone to talk about why the panic attacks were happening. I think this book introduces the idea of a therapist in a lighter way than say the novel I Don't Want to be Crazy.

I liked that the book did not have a neat happy ending because high school does not have neat happy endings. Drama comes goes, increases, decreases, fades and reemerges. So I like that Kim and Ruby didn't make up and that Ruby didn't end up with a boy in the end. I think it gives the message that life can go on even after high school drama.

I would recommend this book mainly to girl because I don't know that many boy readers would be able to understand and appreciate the female protagonists views. I can see high school girls and maybe even 7th or 8th grade girls enjoying this book. It is easy to read and deals with normally girly teenage issues.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boyfriend List.