Gemma's Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Jul 21, 2010

bookshelves: favorites

Mostly, I read this book not so much because it sounded interesting, but more because I loved the Mortal Instruments books, and needed something similar to tie me over until March, when City of Fallen Angels comes out.

It's tough work, I guess, writing a new series different from the one she was known for. With sequels, you can be disappointed, but not necessarily because it was bad, just because it didn't go the way you wanted it to. But with a new series, you have something to compare against.

Clockwork Angel wasn't all that great until I got about 3/4 of the way through, when things got interesting. It wasn't instantly captivating, like City of Bones was. Maybe it was the lack of familiar characters.

Not that some of the characters weren't familiar. Will was Jace in the 19th century. This I actually didn't like. Don't get me wrong; I love Jace. He's one of the best book boys I've read about since Peeta Mellark (but... totally different). But I liked him as Jace, not Will. I was hoping Cassandra Clare would be able to make them distinctly different, but they quickly lapsed into each other. Other then a slight change in 'lingo' and different hair color, they were exactly the same.

And, as for reappearance of old characters, Magnus Bane is back. Not as glittery, but still... Magnus. I loved him in the Mortal Instrument books. Although, I was confused--He had a girlfriend.

What?!

I don't like the thought of him being with anyone other than Alec. But then, I start thinking, and it's Twilight all over again: beautiful immortal paired with aging mortal. What will he do once Alec starts getting old? Hopefully they'll come up with something.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.

Quotes Gemma Liked

Cassandra Clare
“I suspect he's sweet on Sophie and doesn't like to see her work too hard.'
Tessa was glad to hear it. She'd felt awful about her reaction to Sophie's scar, and the thought that Sophie had a male admirer - and a handsome one like that- eased her conscience slightly. 'Perhaps he's in love with Agatha', she said.
'I hope not. I intend to marry Agatha myself. She may be a thousand years old, but she makes an incomparable jam tart. Beauty fades, but cooking is eternal.”
Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel