Alix's Reviews > The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Oct 19, 11

bookshelves: ebooks
Read from October 17 to 19, 2011 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** Holy COW. Is the next one out yet? No? WHY NOT?

This book blew me away. I went into it expecting to like it, but man oh man. Knocked my socks off. I'm generally one of those irritating people who figure out exactly what's going on like, ten pages in, but this one had me reeling until the last damn sentence. I did have a few smaller things guessed (ie: Noah's secret) but that shocker at the end? No siree. Didn't see that one coming.

And it ended in such a way that YOU NEED THE FOLLOW-UP RIGHT NAOW. Gosh.

But other than that little "OMG THAT'S HOW IT'S GOING TO END?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I NEED NUMBER TWO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!" hissy fit... I really enjoyed this book. The mystery was so well written that there just wasn't any way to tell if what was happening was, well, really happening. And I quite enjoyed all the characters and especially the relatively non mushy, non angsty, non irritating "romance" between Mara and Noah. It's so nice to read them like that in YA books. I'm tired of the all-encompassing puppy love thing.

Anyways, this is possibly the most non-cohesive, rambling review I've ever written and the reason for that is simply that I finished this book at 2am (yes, it's a can't-put-it-downer) and then I just sat there tossing and turning and thinking about it. So I'm running on fumes. Which really, should tell you just to go out and read it. Right now :)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.