Angela's Reviews > Dream When You're Feeling Blue

Dream When You're Feeling Blue by Elizabeth Berg

Dec 04, 10

bookshelves: book-club, fiction-historical
Read in November, 2010

I liked this book. There needs to be a 3 1/2 star rating, because it's somewhere between "liked" and "really liked". I thought the story ended rather abruptly... you got the sudden feeling that the author suddenly tried panning out and giving the whole life perspective when she'd been progressing by days and months before that. The story, then, felt somewhat contrived, and you're left guessing on the main character's thoughts when up until that point they'd been fairly explicitly shared with you. What I really liked was the letters! I thought framing a story around the letters was great, and gave such a personal cast to World War II.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dream When You're Feeling Blue.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn I sometimes wonder if the author is getting tired of the story, or pressed for a deadline - because it's not that uncommon. I've just finished reading one that ends abruptly too.

Angela Whatever it is, I dislike it immensely! I hate feeling as though the entire story has been cheapened because the author - for whatever reason - just let it go.

message 3: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Exactly. Not something that endears you to the author!