Jean's Reviews > Murder Between the Covers

Murder Between the Covers by Elaine Viets

Jul 21, 10

bookshelves: mystery
Read in July, 2010

I wanted to try a light mystery, and this is definitely a good series. If you like the Stephanie Plum mysteries by Janet Evanovich, you'll like Elaine Viets's Dead-end Job mystery series.
The premise is that Helen Hawthorne is running from the law, trying to keep her identity secret so her ex-husband and the St. Louis police can't find her. But she keeps getting involved in these mysteries as she travels around the country.
In this book, she is working in a book shop in Florida. The bookshop owner is killed (in a motel room that is being fumigated (tented) for termites). There are plenty of suspects and Helen is determined to find the killer to exonerate her friend. Helen and her landlady do their own sleuthing (the landlady is like Grandma Mazur but not nearly as funny) and, of course, uncover the killer in a dramatic fashion.
I had fun trying to guess the killer (I guessed wrong, of course). The characters were well done for a short book, and I was satisfied with the ending.
Less funny than the Stephanie Plum mysteries, not much sex, but entertaining nevertheless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder Between the Covers.