Denae Christine's Reviews > The Thief

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

Jul 21, 2010

bookshelves: epic-fantasy, favorites, thrice-or-more, have-read-aloud, 1st-person-narrative
Read in January, 2013 — I own a copy , read count: 3

Reader thoughts: When I started this book, I wasn't very invested. I thought it was a good story but nothing life changing. Gen was fun to read, but he reminded me of the Norrington in Fortress Draconis: skilled and important but nothing to remark on.

Then he tied back his hair and picked up a sword.

The last fifty pages were a-maz-ing. They made me laugh and jump and wish I had the sequel in hand. I really should have suspected such an ending, but my guesses were vague and un-epic in comparison. Did the manifestation of some gods make me breathless? No. What about when Eugenides unleashed all his awesomeness at the climax? Yes!

This book is a lot like The False Prince (actually, the other way around), and I love them both. MWT's The Thief is definitely darker (gods? magic?), and the MC is less lucky (is exile or imprisonment more lucky?), but both have very clever and witty MCs who hide information from the reader.

I do wish I liked the sequel, The Queen of Attolia, but, alas, I do not. My friends have many times tried to convince me to read further in the series, but I just can't. It's almost as bad Beyond the Summerland, which killed off its MC (and my friends haven't gotten me to read more of this series, either).

Writer thoughts: How does she do it? MWT writes in first person, and everything Gen says is factual. He's full of inner dialogue, and yet the reader is kept in the dark. And without knowing it.

I had no suspicions (maybe I would now, but I was a young thing in college back then) when I read this book the first time. I bet most of the readers were the same way.

Want to talk about unreliable narrator? This book is a prime example. (Not quite as bad as The Yellow Wallpaper, though.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief.

09/09/2016 marked as: read