godfrina's Reviews > The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Oct 13, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, classic
Read in July, 2010

I must admit I am also one of those people who only got to read this at first because it is one of the must-read-because-it-is-a-classic books.

However, after finishing, I was convinced it deserved its status.

If you are thinking of reading it (and I am sure most avid readers are, and I am also sure most sketchily know what the story is about) don't fall into the trap thinking Dorian Gray is the main character. Yes, his name is in the title and the portrait is of him, most obviously. Still, Lord Henry is the linchpin of it all, influencing everyone around him.

Skimming through other reviews, some stated Lord Henry's ever-present smartness and wittiness was annoying. I beg to differ.
If it wasn't for Lord Henry's smart and ironic observations and even advices, the novel would have never gained such popularity, as Dorian Gray himself - to put it bluntly - is a crashing bore.

Personally, I found it interesting that the reader gets to 'see' the picture's changes rather late as it keeps you on a par with Dorian's anxiety about it.

Read it then, as it is a deserved classic indeed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Quotes godfrina Liked

Oscar Wilde
“Men marry because they are tired; women, because they are curious: both are disappointed.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray