Mette Mccall's Reviews > I Don't Know How She Does It: The Life of Kate Reddy, Working Mother

I Don't Know How She Does It by Allison Pearson

Dec 30, 07

Recommended for: any mom trying to do it all realizing it is a futile endeavour
Read in January, 2005

I think about this book almost on a daily basis. Can you really be a successfull hedgefund manager at a prestigious company (thinly vailed as Morgan Stanley), be a good mother (= raise two kids and participate in all their school acitivities) and be a loving wife. All in the same life at the same time?
The book offers up som hilarious scenarios and really pinpoints how the corporate world discourages career women as mothers all while saying they as a company is a very family friendly place.
It also takes a critical look at the stay at home moms that gave up so much that they try and channel all of their life into raising their kids and condemn any woman that chooses not to follow that path.
As the protagonist wonders: These women spend all their energy trying to stimulate their daughters, to get them the best possible education out there, for what? To have them grow up and be stay at home moms like themselves... What is wrong with these women?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Don't Know How She Does It.