N.L. Riviezzo's Reviews > Matched

Dec 15, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: library-reads, read-in-2010, teenaged-angst, young-adult
Read on December 15, 2010

3 stars isn't accurate for this book - more like 2.5 stars. As I was reading this book, I kept thinking that a large part of this book is extremely familiar but I could not place the book I was thinking of. I came to Goodreads to mark this book as read and to read the other comments. There it was - comments on the book I couldn't remember the name of - The Giver. Everything clicked and I have to say The Giver was better even though I am not a fan of dystopian books. The Twilight reference towards this book is accurate - when did Twilight become the ideal for a love triangle and teenage romance? It baffles me and makes me fear for the world's youth - but The Hunger Games reference threw me. Just because that series and this one are both dystopian does not mean they have anything in common. The Hunger Games is far superior in idea, writing, love triangle, characters and overall world development. If I was to compare this book to something closer in dystopian nature - I'd go with Unwind - dystopian society where children and teens have choices made for them and the teens rebel after a fashion. Unwind is superior to Matched though in all aspect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Steph This for the good review, NL. I am disappointed. The article I read gave it a "B". They only compared it to HG as far as it's stats (sales and interest by movie studios etc). Maybe a library read, then. Yeah, I agree with it being quite sad that Twilight "is the YA love triangle standard". Maybe it's just b/c it's the most popular love triangle among YAs, not necessarily the best?

I am a fan of dystopian stories, so I've marked Unwind TBR. Thanks!

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Thanks for the review N.L, I've got this on my tbr & as I'd have to buy it I've been holding off.

I think now I'll quietly hit the delete button. Can't stand to read another 'Twilight' type angst love triange book. Not really into the YA book scene.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} Good review, N.L. but damn, I own this one. The Giver was just OK for me and I'm not in to Twilight love triangles so I'm not holding out much hope for this one. I'm interested in Unwind, I'll have to move that one up the list.

N.L. Riviezzo Steph - I've read some advertising material for the book that did compare it in writing style and essence to the Hunger Games - not just in hype.

I almost bought this book too but glad that I got it from the library.

Sandra - if you're not really into the YA genre, you'll probably really dislike this book. It plays heavily into the standard YA format for any story.

Amy - I highly recommend Unwind. Sorry about making you sad for owning Matched...

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} The pretty covers always suck me in. Hopefully, I'll have a better time with it. :)

Steph I like the cover too. I will still give it a go and see. Never can tell - different strokes and all. Dystopians always lure me in. Ames, lemme know if you read it before I do, what you think of it.

Thanks again, NL for the review! I'll be sure to be as in the mood for teen angst as one can be before diving in. LOL!