Casta's Reviews > The Charlemagne Pursuit

The Charlemagne Pursuit by Steve Berry

Aug 02, 10

Read from July 21 to August 02, 2010

I almost put this aside partway in (Audio CD version), but was on a long drive with few other audio options to keep me entertained, so I left the book playing. There were a lot of characters to keep track of, which is always challenging in Audio-format books. There were long stretches of "boring" in The Charlemagne Pursuit and it didn't keep me as engaged as some of the previous Cotton Malone stories. This one had a lot of personal background on our Mr. Malone as he sorts out some of his own history. I enjoyed the level of detail with European history in several different periods (Carolingian, pre-WWII, and other times), and an interesting family story is played out... But it took a really, really long time to do. There were entire passages of dialogue and description that I found myself having "tuned out" from, and when I tuned back in, I hadn't actually missed any crucial content. 13 CDs is long for what I'm used to, and I found myself waiting for the high points. In the audio format, transferring back and forth between action locations has to be demarcated somehow, and there was only the bare minimum of it. When it started happening quickly-- just snippets of dialogue in the different locations-- it became annoying to try to keep track of what was going on where. My only other complaint is administrative, with the production company-- I listen in the car, and having no "This is the end of Disc 3" notice (or music, or whatever) is really annoying-- I can get five or ten minutes into the repeat of the first track on the CD when it rolls over on the car's CD player before I figure out that I've heard that section before, and need to change the disc.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Charlemagne Pursuit.