Lisa's Reviews > Sense and Sensibility

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Jul 23, 10

bookshelves: 2010, 1001-before-you-die, guardian-1000, new-1001-before-you-die, classics, comedy, heroines-i-heart, romance
Recommended to Lisa by: Jade Brelsford
Read from July 21 to 23, 2010, read count: 1

Really a 4.5 but Goodreads won't allow that, hence the 4...

I was looking forward to reading this with more than a little apprehension. Despite Austen's reputation I had thought it might be a chore to battle through the language and attitudes that abounded in the literature of the time so I was not only surprised but quite thrilled to find that this was a real pleasure to read - delightfully charming and witty, with fabulous characters and, as Jade had recommended, a real timeless quality. Though the approaches to securing relationships are worlds apart to what occurs these days, love and security are still chief concerns for most people and so you can still find yourself identifying with characters with whom you ought to have nothing in common.

Austen has an acutely perceptive eye towards relationships and character building, and a nice line in sarcasm which makes their defects all the more human, and is quite obviously disapproving of those who seek company or marriage solely on the grounds of wealth which elevated my enjoyment from what it might have been had these traits been more blithely accepted.

I felt more warmth towards Elinor in particular than I have for many more contemporary heroines and, while I frequently wanted to shake Marianne for her emotional over-indulgence and amateur dramatics, her antics were very recognisable from when I was 17.

I'm now desperate to watch the film adaptation, and look forward to reading more Austen very soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sense and Sensibility.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Constancereid (new)

Constancereid I only finished re reading S & S last week, so when I noticed you had given it 4 stars, I thought I'd read your review and comment - it's my favourite Austen. -I find the characters terribly interesting, although Edward is a little bit too good to be true. Lucy Steele has an apt name - what a sly little blade! The part when they're out shopping in Bond Street, and M finds it unbearable is so vivid! so modern! The way in which she checks for messages at every turn, is just how a girl of today would be constantly checking and sending texts! Just exactly the same emotions !
and when W finally responds to her, and her sister at last gets her to try to lie down, she is in such a state of hysterical misery that Elinor ' could with difficulty keep her on the bed at all.' it's just heart-wrenching.
- do buy the film -I think you will really enjoy that - Hugh Laurie is subtle and funny as Mr Palmer, Kate Winslett is SOOO fabulous at tearful lovelorn - I'm thinking of her in Hamlet - but other films too..

Lisa Since my review I did actually have the pleasure of watching the film, which I loved. I think the casting was spot on; Hugh Laurie as you noted was a favourite, and both Kate Winslet and Emma Thompson were note perfect (I particularly love the small moments that Emma Thompson excels at, where she lets herself slip for just a second before recovering herself and getting on). I couldn't help thinking during the film that Marianne was a fool for not thinking that Colonel Brandon was rather wonderful but that may have been from having my head turned by Alan Rickman at a young age!

S & S was the first Austen that I read and it has definitely awakened a hunger in me for more! I've since also read and adored Pride & Prejudice (and watched the BBC adaptation, and finally get what people were going on about re Mr Darcy) and am currently badgering my friend to lend me the rest of her Austen library. If the rest is anywhere near as good as these two, I'll be a very happy bunny.