Ann's Reviews > Magyk

bookshelves: fantasy, animals, young-adult
Recommended to Ann by: Many people have
Recommended for: Fans of "young adult" fantasy
Read in May, 2008

I actually ended up enjoying this book quite a lot!
It took me a few more chapters than I would have liked to "get into" the story and the characters, but after a while I found that I did feel invested. I liked the distinct personalities of the characters, and how consistent they seemed to be.
It also took a while to understand the magical world. Two parts to this: one, being the good vs. evil statuses and people, how things came about, and what it all meant. I still feel there is more to it all though, and perhaps these areas will be explored in the later books. Enough came across, however, for the story to unfold as it should have. The second part is how magic works in Septimus Heap's world. I think I got a pretty good understanding by the middle of the book though, so again, it didn't bother me too much. (I still can't decide if the bolding of every magical word was cool or annoying).
All in all I thought the book was written pretty well, and the plot flow was good. It's told from multiple perspectives, which makes for a bit jumpy read sometimes, but pretty much the transitions are smooth. The ending was satisfying, and good. Though a few things were left unresolved, I'm assuming it's for the following books. Hopefully.
There were some things that very young children, or very sensitive children, might be upset about (mainly relating to cute woodland creatures who... we're not entirely sure what their fates end up being). But overall it's a very "G" read (or maybe PG). There is one part at the end that's pretty unsettling, but the fact it's rectified makes it less so.
A few character traits were somewhat irksome, but again, I'm hoping that the author delves into these in the next books (this book did a good job, so I'm trusting that the author will continue in a similar fashion).
Some things were predictable, but others surprising. And at the end of the book is an interesting collection of "whatever happened to" certain characters, "instructions" for various charms, etc.
I'd recommend this book to fans of other "young adult" fantasy, and while I'm not as in love with the book as certain others in this genre, I did find it a very fun read!
19 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magyk.

Kathryn OMG! I totally forgot you started to read this. How is it going??? I hope it's as good as those recommendations made it sound.

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann So far it's interesting!:) Still a little early though to tell as it's a lot of "back-story" (like the first few chapter of HP1)

Kathryn Neat! I'll be eager to hear more from you as it progresses.

Kathryn Yay! I'm glad it turned out to be so good :-) Thanks for the great review, and I'll have to be sure to read this sometime!

message 5: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Yes, I think you'd like it:)

message 6: by X (new)

X I'm glad you liked this! I hope some of the open-ended things are resolved in the subsequent books.

message 7: by Qt (new)

Qt Nice review--sounds like a pretty good book! I've seen it at the library, and it looks intriguing, so maybe I'll give it a try sometime.

message 8: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Yes, I think it's worthwhile. It's nothing too indepth yet (we're not talking LOTR or HP type of plot) but it's fun and interesting, and I liked most of the characters:) Plus, there's a Message Rat, which was intriguing!! haha!

message 9: by Qt (new)

Qt Ooh, sounds neat!

message 10: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Oliver Thanks for a good review!! I'm going to try to read the series

message 11: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Glad you liked the review, Amelia :) I hope you enjoy the books!