Kaylee D's Reviews > The Screwtape Letters

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

Jul 21, 2010

bookshelves: christian-symbolism

Somehow Lewis manages to articulate the feelings I've only been able to recognize but that hadn't even occurred to me were significant. I like his reminder at the beginning that devils lie, even to each other, so throughout the book I tried to figure out the exaggerations and outright lies- I think I caught a few. Memorable quotes include his idea of the house renovation and humility. Every letter has something I need to work on :) It's not scripture, just a little reminder. And it has a happy ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Screwtape Letters.

Quotes Kaylee Liked

C.S. Lewis
“When two humans have lived together for many years it usually happens that each has tones of voice and expressions of face which are almost unendurably irritating to the other. Work on that. Bring fully into the consciousness of your patient that particular lift of his mother's eyebrows which he learned to dislike in the nursery, and let him think how much he dislikes it. Let him assume that she knows how annoying it is and does it to annoy - if you know your job he will not notice the immense improbability of the assumption. And, of course, never let him suspect that he has tones and looks which similarly annoy her. As he cannot see or hear himself, this easily managed.”
C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

C.S. Lewis
“Your patient has become humble; have you drawn his attention to the fact? All virtues are less formidable to us once the man is aware that he has them, but this is specially true of humility.”
C.S. Lewis, Screwtape Letters