Kim's Reviews > Ten Storey Love Song: A Novel

Jul 20, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: meh-at-you, scrapped
Read in September, 2010

I gave it 66 pages. 67 if you count the front cover which is the 'first' page.

Sure, it's clever... clever like as if Ken Kesey met the Trainspotting guy and regurgitated a Slacker baby that emulated The Young Ones and then decided to 'honor' classics like Georgie Girl for no real reason except to name a character after her and have her sort of pudgie and fond of sweets (Willy Wonka homage too) I guess I'm too old to appreciate snogging and farting and head trips and scuzzy boys and lots of drugs and shit encrusted assholes and mucky flats and trash filled hallways and really (really) bad sex and more bowel issues and dinners of jellybeans and licorice and razor blades and then the drug withdrawals and even a rainbow appearance! I hated all the characters (maybe because I knew people like them on tv and in real life WINK WINK WINK) and maybe because there is never a fucking paragraph break! BE ORIGINAL and yeah I can keep up with the stream of consciousness writing, I'm not a dolt, but maybe I just don't want to because I grew up and it began to bore me. Maybe the idea of all these daft characters mean nothing and their lives are just replicas of old. Maybe I should thank you, Richard Milward, you might have just driven me back to Coetzee or at least Milton. Maybe instead of trying to draw readers in with a 'hip' writing technique isn't enough... maybe you need substance and maybe people won't be fooled by you. Maybe people over 22 at least. GOOD RIDDANCE!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Storey Love Song.