Gretchen's Reviews > Susannah

961931
Jul 26, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, romance, historical-fiction
Read from July 20 to 26, 2010

Yet another cheesy Sunfire novel... this should be the last one for awhile.

Susannah is about a girl growing up in Virginia during the Civil War. Little by little her world falls apart, and she finds herself having to be the leader in her family. Along the way, she meets a Yankee soldier with whom she falls in love. There is truly nothing better than forbidden romance.

I feel like Susannah gives a fairly good portrayal of how devastating the Civil War was for the South. It was pretty heart-breaking to read about the family being unable to buy enough food, and the Confederate Army coming along and taking their last horse. I sort of feel like this book is Gone with the Wind lite, as a lot of the same types of characters show up. Susannah isn't nearly as sassy as Scarlett O'Hara though, and probably not as selfish.

I, like other reviewers, was surprised at the lack of mention of slavery. In the beginning of the novel, when the author first mentions the family's servants, I was like, "Wait, are they not slaves?" Then later Susannah helps one of the slaves run away. But other than that, there really is no discussion of slavery, which is surprising for a book that was written in 1984.

Also, I did feel like the romance between Susannah and her Yankee soldier was a little far-fetched. I didn't feel like they had even spent that much time together before she was declaring that she was in love with him. And yes, I can appreciate that she is 16 years old, but really?

Overall, I did enjoy the book. It was entertaining enough.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Susannah.