Louise's Reviews > Dark Lover

Dark Lover by J.R. Ward

Jul 22, 10

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, urban-fantasy, vaginal-fantasy
Read from July 20 to 22, 2010

This book was recommended several times as a *good* paranormal romance book to read in the worst paranormal series you've ever read thread, but after reading it I'm wondering if maybe I mis-read the thread.

It was not the *worst* paranormal romance I'd read, but it certainly wasn't good. The Brotherhood was too full of testosterone and machismo. The women characters in the book were terrible role models. One was a pseudo-ass-kicking female who just creams her pants at some total stranger and then decides she's in love with him. Another is a stay-at-home-wife type who says things like, "Boys will be boys." The third is a self-sacrificing virgin whose sole purpose in life is to please a man. Boring.

The plot was predictable, the characters one dimensional, and just everyone's reaction to everything very unbelievable. This book just seemed like a vehicle for very hot, steamy love scenes, which I guess is good if that's all you want out of a book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Lover.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Louise I'm a little embarrassed to be reading this, but it was recommended many times by fans of PNR.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy that cover looks a lot like Refactoring  Ruby Edition (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series) by Jay Fields

Louise Wow, you're right. I didn't even notice that. I think the ruby book was better.